By 1924, 8000 of the 41,000 permanently disabled veterans in Britain had been treated at Erskine, with 6400 supplied with artificial limbs.
It was a truly extraordinary feat but the real measure of success was that the majority, fitted with new arms or legs, having mastered new ways of walking and using their arms and perhaps having learned a new trade such as bootmaking, tailoring or hairdressing, left the shelter of the hospital to resume life where they had left off. They did so with determination and courage, many managing to walk considerable distances and even play golf and bowls in defiance of their disability.
The hospital’s focus was already beginning to change from surgical operations and rehabilitation towards providing permanent care and supported accommodation for disabled ex-servicemen.
Five years after the end of the First World War, however, Erskine face a new challenge when the Ministry of |Pensions asked Erskine to provide beds for patients with tuberculosis resulting from war service. Of course it rose to the challenge, despite the concerns noted by the executive committee that these patients required prolonged care and often did not recover.
(Extract from A Century of Care – Erskine 1916-2016)